On Wednesday, 25 May 2011, the 129th session of the World Health Organization’s Executive Board approved Decision, EB129(8) on “WHO reform for a healthy future”. Reproduced below is the text of the Decision which is yet to be published on the WHO website in all 6 UN languages.
EB129(8) WHO reform for a healthy future
The Executive Board,
1. DECIDES to establish a transparent, Member-State (1) driven and inclusive consultative process, on WHO reforms, based on existing mechanisms, comprising of the following steps:
2. REQUESTS the Director-General to prepare by the end of June 2011, three concept papers which will be further revised on an ongoing basis through the consultative process, on the following issues: governance of WHO, independent evaluation of WHO, and the World Health Forum, as outlined in resolution WHA64.2
3. REQUESTS the Director-General to hold consultations of Member States1 at WHO Headquarters, on these papers, and to create a platform for web-based consultations by the end of July 2011;
4. REQUESTS Regional Committees, based on the updated concept papers, to engage in strategic discussions regarding the WHO reform process and report on these discussions to the meeting outlined below;
5. DECIDES to hold a special session of the Executive Board open to all Member States1 in November 2011,following the Regional Committee meetings, to discuss outcomes of the consultative process on the three papers, and draft proposals prepared by the Secretariat or proposed by Member States1 on other aspects of the reforms outlined in document A64/4.;
6. URGES Member States (1) to support, with possible funding, and actively engage in the reform process.
7. REQUESTS the Director-General to support the aforementioned elements of the consultative process.
Footnote 1: And, where applicable, regional economic integration organizations