Next week, the United States International Trade Commission (ITC) will hold a two-day hearing on “Trade, Investment, and Industrial Policies in India: Effects on the US Economy.” The first session will take place Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 1:00pm and the second session will convene on Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 9:30am. Both sessions will be held at the ITC in the Main Hearing Room (room 101) at 500 E Street SW, Washington, DC.
The hearing is part of a larger investigation launched by the ITC to examine a wide range of Indian policies and how they impact US trade and investment. The investigation was jointly requested by the US Senate Committee on Finance and the House Committee on Ways and Means. The ITC will perform quantitative analysis of the effects of various Indian policies, provide case studies, and will survey a sample of US firms to measure perceptions of India’s policies and to gauge firms’ business strategies towards India.
Wednesday February 12th Panel Session-Witness List
- Brian Pomper, Executive Director, Alliance for Fair Trade with India
- Arvind Subramanian, Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics, Center for Global Development
- Mark Elliot, Executive Vice President, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Global Intellectual Property Center
- Michael Schlesinger, Of Counsel, International Intellectual Property Alliance
- Stephen Ezell, Senior Analyst, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
Thursday February 13th Panel Session-Witness List
- Ron Somers, President, U.S. India Business Council
- Pallavi Shroff, Senior Partner, Amarchand Mangaldas, Confederation of Indian Industry
- Linda M. Dempsey, Vice President, National Association of Manufacturers
- Stephen Simchak, Director, International Affairs, American Insurance Association
- Jerry Rao, Former Chairman, NASSCOM and former CEO, MphasiS, National Association of Software and Service Companies
- Douglas Nelson, Senior Adviser for Trade, Intellectual Property & Strategic Issues, CropLife America
- Lila Feisee, Vice President, International Affairs, Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Dr. Neil McCullough, Executive Vice President, Association of Clinical Research Organizations
- Rod Hunter, Senior Vice President, International Advocacy, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
- Richard J. Shapiro, Chairman, Sonecon, LLC
- D G Shah, Secretary General, Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance
- Srividhya Ragavan, Professor of Law, University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Sean Flynn, Professor of Law, American University
- Philip Blake, President, Bayer HealthCare USA
- James Love, Director, Knowledge Ecology International
- Rohit Malpani, Director of Policy and Analysis, The Access Campaign, Doctors Without Borders
- Peter Maybarduk, Director of Global Access to Medicines Program, Public Citizen
The US ITC welcomes written submissions for the record. Written submissions for this investigation are due by April 11, 2014 at 5:15pm.
The US ITC will deliver the full report of the investigation to the House and Senate Committees by November 30, 2014.
The most up-to-date details of the hearing can be accessed via the ITC’s calendar page.