- On September 2009, KEI filed the following request under the Freedom of Information Act.
- On June 2010, KEI filed the following request under the Freedom of Information Act.
This is a request asked for documents and communications prepared or received by the State Department regarding the Partnership for Safe Medicines (PSM) India Collaboration Summit held at the Imperial Hotel in Delhi, India, on May 11th, 2010 and called “Empowering Indian Patients, Healthcare Professionals and Policymakers Against Unsafe Drugs”. The request is available here.
- On January 11, 2011, KEI requested the State Department for all documents prepared or received on the topic of the use of compulsory licenses on medical patents by the Government of Thailand for the time period of January 20th, 2009 until the present, specifically:
1. Copies of documents relating to any review and evaluation of intellectual property policies in Thailand, that relate to medical technologies.
2. Copies of documents relating to communication regarding policies and practices of compulsory licensing of medical patents in Thailand, including but not limited to any notes, memorandums, reports, cables, electronic mail, fax, letter or other communication between your department and the pharmaceutical industry, or law firms, consultants, public relations firms, lobbyists or others working their behalf, as well as communications with any member of congress or their staff, communications with foreign governments or with other agencies within the U.S. federal government, or involving any other person.
3. Copies of documents relating to any conclusions reached or position papers prepared on compulsory licensing practices in Thailand,
4. Any other documents relevant to or regarding the use of the compulsory licensing of medical patents by Thailand.
Request Date: 9/30/2009
Request Reference Number: C6218
The time period of my request is from 1/1/2009 to the present.
Description of request:
Records related to the issue of a biomedical research and development treaty and the World Health Organization WHO, including negotiations on the role of the WHO as a stakeholder in discussions of such a treaty. These negotiations included a meeting with negotiators in January 2009, and a meeting of the World Health Assembly in May 2009, plus other meetings we may not know about.
For faster processing please restrict the parameters of this FOIA request to the State Archiving System (SAS)–over 25 million electronic records consisting of telegrams from mid-1973 to present.
In order to help to determine my status to assess fees, you should know that I am
affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for commercial use.(Additional documentation will be required. See
I request a waiver of fees. I intend to publish an article on the subject of the FOIA in the Huffington Post.
Thank you for your consideration of my request. Sincerely,
1621 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 500
Telephone Number: 1.202.332.2670
Fax Number: 1.202.332.2673